POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test.binaries : Blob bug/feature: The spiky knee (v. 3.02 to 3.5) : Re: Blob bug/feature: The spiky knee (v. 3.02 to 3.5) Server Time
15 May 2024 13:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blob bug/feature: The spiky knee (v. 3.02 to 3.5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 28 Nov 2001 15:26:28
Message: <3C05481E.C2CEAFBA@aol.com>
Rune wrote:

> > Intuitively, the green and red features ought to be the same.
>
> No.
>
> > If they were cylinders, they would be!
>
> You are confusing cylinder objects with cylinder blob components. Cylinder
> blob components have rounded end caps (like if there were spheres in the
> ends) while cylinder objects don't have that. You can't compare them.

No, that's not what I'm doing. Of course, scaling along the 'y' axis gives
expected results, in changing the roundedness of the end cap.  Examples of the
correct, expected behavior in the code below and the attached image...

blob{
        threshold 0.4
        cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,10,0> ,0.25,1    scale <1,0.1,1>}
        pigment{Red}
        finish{IsoFinish}
        translate <-1,0.0,0>
        }

blob{
        threshold 0.4
        cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,.1,0>,   0.25,1 scale <1,10,1>}
        pigment{Green}
        finish{IsoFinish}
        translate <0,0.0,0>
        }

blob{
        threshold 0.4
        cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,1,0>,   0.25,1 scale 1}
        pigment{Green}
        finish{IsoFinish}
        translate <1,0.0,0>
        }

> If you want to avoid the problem you're describing, don't scale cylinder
> blob components non-proportionally. Instead design them with the correct end
> points in the first place, or at least the correct length between the end
> points.

I scaled the x &  z dimensions of the blob component and get a wacky alteration
of the blob in the y!! This is not mathematically correct, IFMSS. Look at the
code in my original post here....

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'blobshop03b.jpg' (4 KB)